"In order to experience the rainbow, we must first survive the storm" - Joanne Cacciatore

Sunday, March 29, 2009

In Jack's Memory

After our son's death in 2007, we had so many friends and family do things to honor him and help us honor him in our own way. Two of my best friends dropped everything to drive up from home for 6 hours to see me and be here for me.  

One of our really good friends, Tiffany, set up a fund at the local NICU for donations in his name. There were thousands total donated and they used them to buy rocking chairs for their NICU. It meant so much to us and I loved getting the udpates on his fund to add to his baby book.  We also had several different people donate books on stillbirth and parental bereavement to various libraries, which was special and we got a certificate and letter about each donation.

Some of the dearest friends I have ever known literally saved my life that summer and kept me from drowning in grief.  In addition to the emotional support, they named a star after Jack! 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


They also had the name of the star, "Baby Jack" and the coordinates of where it is located engraved on a bracelet for me to wear...

Photobucket

They also then banded together and took a donation to help us with funeral costs, etc.  We did not end up having a traditional funeral and the cost of cremation really was not a lot.  So, with their blessing, I decided to use the money to help and go towards my mother's ring.  I always wanted an eternity band with Jack's birthstone (rubies) all the way around.  The idea was for it to be a thin, stackable ring so that if we ever had any other children down the line...I could stack their rings on top and Jack would always be on my finger as my first born.  I wanted very high quality rubies, designed it myself, and had it specially-made by the jeweler back in Dallas that made our wedding rings.  I wanted something that would one day be an heirloom piece and could be passed down in our family.  I hope to one day be able to add other stackable rings just like it on top.  Here is a picture:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment